The collection of the Department of Numismatics amount to over 30 thousand relics of origins ranging from the ancient times up to the present. The history of gathering public numismatic collections dates back to the 19th century and is related to Szczecin museums created on the basis of collecting interests of enthusiasts and researchers of West-Pomeranian history and antiquities related to the Society of History and Antiquities of Pomerania (Gesellschaft für Pommersche Geschichte und Alterumskunde). Numismatic relics were obtained mainly by discoveries and finds. In 1944 the most precious objects were evacuated into the heart of Germany.
In the postwar history of collecting numismatic relics, year 1952, when the Cabinet of Numismatics was created, had a landmark meaning. It took over a part that remained after the pre-war collection – a small set of 1422 objects, mainly small German and West-Pomeranian coins, as well, as unspecified number of sigillographical relics (seal matrixes and seal impressions). Until the end of 1960s the collection had been enlarged mainly on account of donations. It was, however, a varied collection, the majority of which were coins of modern European countries. The most numerous were German coins, although there were also objects from exotic countries. Since 1970s, thanks to permanent purchases and numerous donations the department has gathered several consistent collections, which are its greatest property: Polish, European and world coins, antique coins, medals and decorations as well, as seals impressions and matrixes. The most precious is, however, a collection of numerous treasures, finds and Western-Pomeranian coins, which enables the researchers to work on numerous subjects, as well, as to present the history of coins in Western Pomerania within a permanent exhibition entitled West-Pomeranian Coinage from 12th to 19th Century.